The Society's main publication is Archives of natural history, produced twice a year, and distributed free to all members. It contains refereed, illustrated papers and book reviews and is published for the Society by Edinburgh University Press. All 37 volumes published since 1936 are now available online free of charge to members of the Society who have renewed their subscription for 2011. Individuals who are not members of the Society may access the back issues on payment of an access fee.
An informal Newsletter is produced three times a year and distributed free to members. It contains details of forthcoming meetings, news of other events, a lively Notes & Queries section, members’ news and new publications.
From time to time, the Society also publishes other works that are relevant to its members’ interests. For example:
- To celebrate the Society's 75th anniversary, we have published History & Mystery, an anthology of the most interesting, bizarre and entertaining notes and queries from the Society's newsletters. This can be ordered through the Society directly.
- Darwin in the Archives, edited by Dr E. Charles Nelson and Professor Duncan M. Porter. A listing of its contents is available here. Orders for Darwin in the archives should be sent to Edinburgh University Press.
- A century of Discovery: Antarctic exploration and the Southern Ocean. Papers presented at an international symposium, held at the Southampton Oceanography Centre, 28–30 June 2004, published in association with the National Oceanography Centre, Southampton and the British Antarctic Survey.
- The Sherborn Fund Facsimiles, a series commemorating the founder of the Society, Charles Davies Sherborn, includes Alexander von Humboldt’s 1807 Essai sur la geographie des plantes.
- The Society also co-published John Thackray’s A guide to the official archives of The Natural History Museum, London.
For more information see Other publications.
SHNH Special Publications
The following SHNH special publications are now available online at EUP at http://www.euppublishing.com/loi/anh
- History in the service of systematics (1981)
- Contributions to the history of North American natural history (1983)
- From Linnaeus to Darwin: commentaries on the history of biology and geology (1985)